Our business requires contact with the use of hazardous substances. Due to the inherent dangers involved, we recognise our duty to control the storage, handling and use of these substances. They may be purchased as a hazardous substance, produced as a result of our activities or exist in the form of microbiological hazards. When these situations arise we instigate control measures.
The measures will include:
- Identifying all the purchased products within the facility, so as to decide whether they pose a significant risk of harm (an inventory of products is recorded on the form COSHH which can be found in the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Assessment section of our Risk Assessments Manual).
- When we purchase or acquire products we request a copy of the material safety data sheet (MSDS) from our suppliers. This enables us to access information on the associated hazards involved and the suggested control measures.
- Ensuring the hazardous substances are correctly labelled to the recognised standard and are stored in the appropriate containers.
- Identifying the activities where hazardous products are generated as a result of the process and require control measures instigating. This will include microbiological hazards.
- Assessing the risk involved and the control measures that need to be put into place (complete risk assessments can be found in the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Assessment section of our Risk Assessments Manual).
- Implementing the control measures, which include ensuring that copies of completed COSHH assessments are available at the point of use.
- Ensuring that safe working practices are produced and implemented.
- Installing a health surveillance programme as and when hazardous substances are required.
- Ensuring that the hazardous substances are disposed of in a recognised safe manner, which includes any residual hazardous substances that may be left in used containers.
Responsibility for undertaking these measures has been delegated to key personnel. These responsibilities can be found in the Individual Responsibilities section of our Policy and Procedures and the means of auditing these responsibilities can be found in our Health and Safety Key Responsibility Booklet issued to them.